The Arts and Letters Committee provides chapter members, children, and members of the community a wide selection of opportunities to experience the Arts. This year Arts and Letters focused on authors and books, local performing arts, and cultural expressions of history through the following activities:
- The Arts and Letters Committee’s Book Club read and participated in discussions of two books – Living with a Purpose: An Activist Guide to Listening,Learning, and Leading by Past National President Dorothy I. Height and Wench by Dolen Perkins Valdez
- Spearheaded the Chapter’s participation in the Help African Libraries (HALIBS) Project in the collection of over 1000 books for libraries in Gambia and Sierra Leone
- Partnered with the Delta Academy/GEMS to continue the Christmas Book Tree by providing books of their choice to 30 girls
- Presented an “Evening with as Author” program where the Delta Academy/GEMS were able to listen to and discuss life experiences and choices with Leslie A. Morris author of How Ya Like Me Now?
- Organized an evening for chapter members and their families to attend a performance of “The Christmas Pageant” at a local Cathedral
- Partnered with the Educational Development committee to provide 10 students a “living history” experience at Button Farm where aspects of slave life were recreated and students were able to complete a service project during the visit